5 Ways To Keep Your Family and Home Safe This Holiday
With the holidays right around the corner, several items come to mind. Fun, family time, and of course, Christmas lights! One of our favorite things to do during the holiday is to drive around and view all of the amazing homes decorated with all the beautiful lights. Here are 5 ways to ensure your home and family will stay safe this holiday.
– Be careful of open flames- Who doesn’t love the smell of cinnamon scented candles this time of year. If you’re burning candles make sure they are resting in a self contained container or non flammable glass dish. Make sure paper napkins are not resting close by as well.
– Keep your tree hydrated – Keeping your tree hydrated ensures it won’t dry up, reducing the chance of becoming a fire hazard.
– Discard older ornaments – We’re not talking about the sentimental ones of you in your first home, or ones your kid made at school. We recommend discarding old ornaments from the 70s that might have lead-based paint. These ornaments might also be frail making them more prone to break.
– Check your lights – Always make sure your lights have been approved for indoor or outdoor use. Plug them in to test BEFORE you string them in the tree or bushes to ensure they not only work, but also to discover any frays or shorts. Discard damaged lights.
– Turn off and unplug all of your lights at night – It sounds like common sense, but the most common fires that occur during the Christmas holiday are due to faulty wiring.
We hope you enjoyed these 5 tips. If you have any that you would like to share. Please share them with us on our facebook page. Have a Happy Holidays!